Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Packing

Alright, so this packing thing...I'm quite the expert at it by now. After all, I have moved ump-teen times in the last 7 years. (College and then changing jobs after College helped to raise this number) I'm about to do it again.

ugh.

To be totally fair, the insane woman in me just loves organizing all of my stuff for a move. Heck, I made a post-it labeling system and stacked boxes based upon their weight and shape to easily pack them into one of those fancy pants moving company boxes. You know the ones. I tell you this to assure you that my over-thinking is well and working when moving is a-foot.

BUT, I also dread it. There is just SO F-ING MUCH to consider. gasp!, you say to yourself, after all this spewing about how much she thinks, how could she possibly DISLIKE an opportunity to think more. Allow me to make my case. There is just so much stuff. Really. And I get rid of a lot of stuff every time I move. I don't want to forget anything and I need to think about the best possible way to pack it all. Plus, there is the planning of however you are getting to where you are moving. Do we push to make the drive in one day? Relax and take it in two? Where do we want to stop? Have I remembered everything I needed to complete to prep the apartment I'm moving into? Utilities? That damn cable and internet? (note to current resident: please please please tell the cable company you are moving) You get the idea. I'm sure many of you have done this before. I'm certainly not the first person.

This is just the perfect example of when my over-thinking is overwhelming for even me. Which is precisely why I want to figure out just what makes my thinking so very crazy. Why do I need to do this?

In this instance, I worry that I'll forget something. If I forget something, the world might fall apart. Well, my world. Yes, I said it. And NOT knowing that I have thought of everything, I literally get a pain in my stomach. That ache that drops the bottom of your stomach, reminding you where your center of gravity seems to rest. It can make you feel sick, it can be the little reminder that you love someone, or it can be where you want to leave your dinner on a roller coaster (sometimes all the same thing...). But yeah, that. I feel it when I worry I missed something or could have done more. It's a fear really. So, this time, my thinking is a protection. I keeps me from feeling like I'm going to fall off that edge, unprepared and without my parachute.

Lesson learned: I should try to appreciate my thinking and roll with it a bit more. All those webs of lists and reminders should weave together to make a nice, light-weight cloth for a parachute. :)

2 comments:

  1. im awful at packing it may be because im lazy i have no idea x

    ReplyDelete
  2. kirstyb...i hear ya. organized and motivated though I may be, it doesn't mean I'm not lazy sometimes. haha

    ReplyDelete